SCV Water uses our website and social media as components of our public outreach activities. Our goal is to provide credible, effective and reliable communications about regional watershed management, water infrastructure, management and policy to the community we serve.
Social Media Customer Use Policy
The Santa Clarita Valley Water Agency (SCV Water) engages customers through many digital outlets, including its Official Website (www.yourSCVwater.com) and various social media websites. Communicating with SCV Water through social media further enables customers to contact the Agency in a direct and meaningful way. This Social Media Customer Use Policy (Customer Use Policy) provides a summary of the guidelines set forth in SCV Water’s Social Media Administration and Guidelines Policy (Administrative Policy) pertaining to the public’s use of the Agency’s social media sites. To the extent there is any conflict between this Customer Use Policy and the Administrative Policy, the Administrative Policy shall control.
For purposes of this Customer Use Policy, “social media” is understood to be content created by individuals, using accessible, expandable, and upgradable publishing technologies, through and on the Internet. Examples of social media include, but are not limited to, social networking sites, forums, weblogs (blogs, vlogs, microblogs), online chat sites, and video/photo posting sites or any other such similar output or format (including, but not limited to, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and YouTube).
SCV Water has an overriding interest and expectation in protecting the integrity of the information posted on its social media sites, in the name of and on behalf of the Agency, and the content that is attributed to the Agency and its officials.
SCV Water's social media sites are subject to the California Public Records Act (Government Code Section 6250, et seq.) and associated laws. Any content maintained on an Agency social media site that is related to Agency business, including a list of subscribers, posted communication, and communication submitted for posting, may be considered a public record and subject to public disclosure as required by law.
Commenting on an SCV Water Social Media Site
SCV Water shares information, images, photographs, and video with the public through external social media websites. Comments made by the public to these sites are reviewed and, while comments will not be edited by Agency personnel, a comment may be deleted if it violates this Customer Use Policy.
- Comments should be related to the posted topic for the Agency’s social media page or post. SCV Water's social media accounts are not meant for comments that do not directly relate to the purpose or topic of the social media website or for service requests. For general comments or communications concerning the Agency or an Agency department, please use the Contact Us Form.
- Comments may contain links to external sites that are government sites, Agency-related sites, sites with specific ties to the Agency, or sites that provide public information that help the Agency fulfill its mission.
- In the event of an emergency, please call 911 and ask for assistance. Contacting the Agency in the event of an emergency, such as a water main break or outage, should not be done through SCV Water social media sites. Instead, call Customer Care at (661) 294-0828. SCV Water technicians are available 24 hours/a day to respond. While comments posted on Agency’s social media sites are monitored, posting a comment is neither recommended or the best way to contact the Agency’s staff.
- You are subject to the Terms of Service (TOS) of the individual social media websites. Information (photos, videos, etc.) you share with or post to official SCV Water pages are also subject to the TOS of the site and may be used by the owners of the site for their own purposes. For more information, consult the individual social media website’s TOS.
- The Agency shall have full permission or rights to any content posted to its social media sites, including photographs and videos.
- Individuals posting photos warrant they have taken the photograph and have obtained any necessary permission from any third party if that third party or third party’s intellectual property appears in the photograph. Photos remain your individual property, but by posting a photo, you agree to allow the Agency to display and use your photo on the Agency’s social media sites and grant the Agency a perpetual, worldwide non-exclusive license to reproduce, distribute, display and create derivative works of your photo in connection with the SCV Water and promotion for the SCV Water. By posting a photo, you release and hold the Agency harmless from any and all liability arising from or related to the posting of your photo(s).
- Postings or comments to Agency social media sites shall NOT contain any of the following:
- Comments not topically related to the particular subject or article being commented upon;
- Comments in support of, or opposition to, political campaigns, candidates or ballot measures (this does not apply to educational information or materials provided by the Agency pertaining to Agency ballot measures or related Comments in response thereto);
- Profane language or content;
- Content that promotes, fosters, or perpetuates discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, age, religion, gender, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, national origin, physical or mental disability or sexual orientation/gender identification, as well as any other category protected by federal, state or local laws;
- Sexual content (including nudity) or links to sexual content;
- Solicitations of commerce, including, but not limited to, advertising of any business or product for sale, commercial promotions and spam;
- Conduct in violation of any federal, state or local law, or encouragement of illegal activity;
- Information that may tend to compromise the safety or security of the public or public systems;
- Content that violates a legal ownership interest of any other party;
- Potentially libelous comments;
- Personal attacks, insults, or threatening language;
- Private or personal information published without consent;
- Reproduced or borrowed content that reasonably appears to violate third-party rights;
- Hyperlinks to material that is not directly related to the discussion.
- Comments posted by a member of the public on any Agency social media site are the opinion of the commentator or poster only, and publication of a comment does not imply endorsement of, or agreement by, SCV Water, nor do such comments necessarily reflect the opinions or policies of the SCV Water.
- SCV Water reserves the right to deny access to Agency social media sites for any individual, who violates this Policy, at any time and without prior notice.
- SCV Water reserves the right to restrict or remove any content that it deems, in its sole discretion, to be in violation of this Customer Use Policy, the Administrative Policy, or any other applicable law (including, but not limited to copyright and/or trademark law), to be the intellectual property of any third party, or to pose a threat to the Agency’s technology system or its security.
- This comment policy is subject to amendment or modification at any time.
Questions or concerns regarding SCV Water’s social media activity, SCV Water’s Website and Social Media Administrative Policy, and/or this Social Media Customer Use Policy should be submitted online.